Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Warm Chapel- The Tori Amos Concert Review 09



I almost cannot find words enriching enough to capture the emotions that spark when I'm at a Tori concert. But...I'll try.
I am home with her music and she actually sounds even more powerful live than on any cd.
M and I went our LONG time friends Stacey and Jeff. Stacey and I went to a Tori concert in 1999. It was cool to be there again with her.
Tori played many of my favorites...including 'Caught a light sneeze' as 2nd song, then 'Cornflake Girl' but it was during 'Mother' that my face filled with tears and my body shivering with emotion. 'Mother' is off of her first cd "Little Earthquakes" circa 1992. This song became a grief song for me in 1997 when I lost my mother. A song I had many times curled my hair and put on lipstick to, suddenly became a song I blasted to drown out sorrow. It never drowned it, it saturated me instead. I have never heard her sing it live, until last night. It moved me. I can say for certain I have never cried at a concert. I am embarrassed to cry in movie theaters. I do recall tearing up when I saw Madonna in concert, that was surreal. However, this was a full blown tear fest......that luckily no one saw, and if they did, no one with me said a word about it later. Thankfully.
Her last encore song was "Big Wheel" and by this time she has us on our feet chanting.
She might as well be singing the bible of and to my life. I love her for writing the words from my own soul and singing directly to my heart. She is quirky, bizarre, odd, so far left of center, so confident, so crazy talented. She is a total machine on piano, her writing, her voice. Oh what a sweet and cynical angel! (or maybe a crimson vixen)
**************************************************
A few lyrics from "Mother"
Go go go go now
Out of the nest
It's time
Go go go now
Circus girl without a safety net
Here here now
Don't cry
You raised your hand for the assignment
Tuck those ribbons under your helmet
***************************************************