Friday, March 6, 2009

It's a Cheer Thing, You Wouldn't Understand




Ok, so here are the rules...
1. You either love my cheerleader or keep you opinions to yourselves
2. You never pass judgement on a sport you know nothing about, that's right a SPORT
2. You don't insult "cheer moms", these are mothers who are well to do, but down to earth
3. If you see a picture of my child in all of her performance make up, you do not, ever call her 'trashy'- that is my daughter you are insulting
4. No references to deceased, toddler beauty queens. Miss B is in cheer, not pageants
5. This has become a huge part of our life. Respect me for it.

So yes, a couple of male "friends" have made comments that are not settling well w/ me. Hey, heres something to chew, we are all very different. My girls will never be girlscouts. We are not a family of campers or cookie sellers and the outfits are hideous.
I want my girls learning confidence, showmanship, working well w/ others, building strength- emotionally and physically, the list goes ON.
I don't care if someone else thinks it is rediculous, the time, effort, the money put in to this sport. Those are opinions I never need to hear for I do not share MINE. Oh, except when I become defensive, then it is on, don't get me started on how other people are raising their children.

I used to lay in bed during the college years, day dreaming about having children. I always imagined us doing things like trips to the park, turning up the music in the car, singing along to silly songs, making cookies, throwing flour in each others hair, and putting them in something like ballet or cheer (I really didn't know which one we would be led to, we've tried both and B thrives in cheer) and guess what, my dreams have come true. I am the mother I dreamt about. I have the babies that were once only figments of my imaginiation. So for someone to say my daughter looks like a hooker in her performance make up and outfit is down right hurtful and borders on sinful and evil. I have got to learn to cut the nasty people out of my happiness equation. I am quite sure that there must be others who may think the same thing, people are entitled to opinions, but why hurt me, the mother? I am proud of my girl! She is excelling and may get to be on a true competitive squad next year. We'll know more soon. Also, this is just a good excuse to socialize, to bring entire families together and meet like minded people. At the end of the month there is a banquet and you better believe the wheels are already turning for our outfits. It is in cowtown area and I know it will be a great end to a perfect first year of cheer. If my girls ever want to try soccer or music, then great! They can do that too! If they ever hate cheer, we'll cross that bridge if it happens. Miss B loves performing in front of others. She gets all giddy and excited and serious about her performance! And, the icing on the cake, she gets a trophy for all those hours of learning in the gym two times a week. I have to say, hands down, this has been one of the best decisions Michael and I have made for our girls. Education will always come first. I am trying to get her in to the best elementary in my area. I have a teacher friend in the district who I hope to assist me, if not, then ok, from what I've heard this entire district is great.
Sorry to rant! This is my safe place to do it though. Ya know? And for those of you, the grandparents, my best friends, my sisters who have totally indulged us, thank you. And to my sweet husband whose heart has soared watching Miss B become an athlete, thank you, you truly are the best.