Today was breath taking. The sun was out and there was a light chill in the air. Michael, Ashlee and I arrived at the Base in Fort Worth to support Kel and the homecoming of her husband, a Marine who has been in Iraq since 9/11/07. My main reason I wanted to be there was to catch as many pictures as I could of their special re-uniting. I never knew I would get so much out of it myself. This was such an awe inspiring event, and I feel so special to have been an onlooker. It put a lot in to perspective to me. (It never stops, I'm a perspective junkie). I thought about the men and women getting off the plane being so selfless. Would YOU go to Iraq for America? You don't want to know MY response to that. Then when I saw Kel and their beautiful kids unite with husband/daddy/hero- I completely lost it. (Come to find out I cry at certain Oprah shows and now at homecomings for soldiers). What is happening to me? What am I- some sort of human or something? Good gosh, I was a mess and hoping no one noticed. I had mascara running down my cheeks while I am trying to catch their special moment on camera. At one point I feel Michael's fingers wipe a tear off of my face. I guess it was just inevitable. I love Kelli and her family. I know her year has been hard. I know its over now, all of that difficulty and the need to be strong. Now she can just crawl in her husband's arm and just be weak. What an awesome experience, thank you K for letting me be a part of YOUR special day and be an onlooker. I will never forget it, and I think I just might be a changed person, and a less cynical one watching something so humbling unfold before my eyes. I'm not going to post personal pics unless she says its ok, but here is one from the day.
New Project
12 years ago






