Earlier this week the girls and I went out to their great-aunt Chris's (M's side of fam) for lunch and to retrieve a vanity for Brookelyn. Of course, little farmer Brookelyn was truly most excited to see their garden of vegetables! She somehow suckered Aunt Chris out of this precious, rare white squash (must be those big, pretty eyes!). I had every intention of cooking the thing that night or the next. Miss B had other plans. She became Mother Earth and started nurturing the squash. Upon arriving home, she took it in a stroll in the baby doll stroller. She started talking about having to tuck it in later and that we couldn't eat it yet. She came up with a plan to use two paper towels for a bed but was stumped over what to do for a pillow. I suggested a folded up dish towel. (Did I really find myself in a conversation over a pillow for a squash?- Yes!- the joys of being Brookelyn's Mommy!)
The next day she explains that she has decided on a place for the squash to work. Yes, it got an actual place of employment, all the way across in her room at the vanity! Of course! What else does a squash do- but "work" at the vanity! And when the squash slept, we all had to tiptoe and be quiet. I've heard all about going back to Aunt Chris and Uncle Rob's garden and how she too wants a vegetable garden. Thats daddy's job one day. Anything I grow, unless human, fails to thrive. I either over water or under water.
The next day she explains that she has decided on a place for the squash to work. Yes, it got an actual place of employment, all the way across in her room at the vanity! Of course! What else does a squash do- but "work" at the vanity! And when the squash slept, we all had to tiptoe and be quiet. I've heard all about going back to Aunt Chris and Uncle Rob's garden and how she too wants a vegetable garden. Thats daddy's job one day. Anything I grow, unless human, fails to thrive. I either over water or under water.
Tonight the squash is still in her room but I think she is getting closer to letting me cook her baby. Maybe the novelty of having a vegetable for a baby is wearing thin.
Its been endearing to say the least to watch her "mother" a white squash. She even had to give the squash fake medicine out of her doctor bag. I watched her administer medicine to it and speak softly and kindly to it. She told it, "its okay, you'll be all better soon! Then you sleep in your baby bed"
Sweet, sweet Brookelyn who hand picked a squash from her aunt's garden and could think of nothing better than to nurture and love it! Thats my girl!






