Thursday, April 24, 2008

You Allergic To Looking Beautiful Or Something?


So......about three weeks down and about three weeks to go until we are in OUR house! Everyone keeps asking, "how is it going over there?". The short answer is "good!". We've all been getting along pretty well! However, I'm sure they will be glad to have their home back to themselves when we leave!

Michael started his new job this week and seems to be doing just fine. The commute is a little rough, but that is because are temporarily in Mansfield, which is quite a different commute from N. Richland Hills. Overall, we are just super excited about his new journey. I miss him greatly and feel we are two ships passing in the night. He comes home, eats, and goes to sleep! I'm left to my own devices in the day -- entertaining two little girls who HAD very predictable routines and now we are just 52 cards scattered up in the air.

Prior to M starting job, we rode the train outside the zoo, ate at a favorite restaurant, went to Six Flags, the mall a few times,etc..(not in one day- different days). We really had a great time, unwinding from the move and getting in some quality time.

If living out of 4 totes has taught me anything during this transition, it is that we need so very little to be happy. Of course, we need money to make the world function, but material wise, it takes so little to feel fulfilled. Of course I can't wait to be in my house, decorate, work on projects, etc..-- but when you think about it-- it is the act of doing those things that brings joy, not the materials involved. Miss B has a handful of HER toys and has gotten attached to those items. I see that she is not suffering to be without the rest of her toys.

I started thinking about every big or semi-big purchase we or I've made in the past few years and tried to calculate the happiness involved. I think initially it was an instant high or gratification.......then.......the big let down.......that money didn't buy me happiness.

Before our move, we donated our big tube tv. I don't know when we will replace it but we have 2 19 inches (one is LCD ) and one 13 inch t.v that all work fine. We have the money now to replace it but that is beside the point. I have a beautiful SUV that is over a year old with terrible hail damage, but it drives fine and I still consider myself lucky to have it. Michael, the bread-winner is driving my sisters old 99 Corolla. Anytime we talk about him getting a nicer car, he says, "this one drives just fine". He just recently got a nicer phone, after years of having the bottom of the line cell phone. His old phone would charge up and then if you didn't take it off the charger, it would drain itself by beeping- the beep was to indicate it was charged! He constantly had to let me go because it was on its last limb for so long. Finally he has something that is useful and pertinent to his career. At first, I was like, "I want one too!" and then I came back down to earth, knowing my phone is just fine!

We've had so much fun catching up with people and the lessons keep pouring in. Relationships and friendships cannot be bought. The joy we get from being with others and laughing doesn't come with any price.

The other day my sis Kristyn came over and out of the blue I said, "you know what, I've been wanting to fix Amy's dog's hair! (its a Yorkie)". Kristyn looks at me like I'm a little freak. You know the look. So, I get Brookelyn's detangler spray, the dog brush, rubber bands, and scissors, and the dog "Lola". Her poor ponytail on top had basically fallen out and she couldn't see. She also had a mat on top of her head that I cut out. I had to do and re do it several times because I'd pull it so tight, the dog couldn't blink. She was permanently surprised. One of the times, one eye was partially closed and the other eye unable to blink. She rammed her head all over the couch and sneezing (huh? sneezing?). I said, "Whats the matter Lola!? You allergic to looking beautiful?!"

I don't really care for small dogs. I haven't paid much attention to Lola. However, we about peed ourselves from laughter while I played beauty shop and gave her pig tails. Lola sat there, still and silent. I was thankful to her for giving us free entertainment.