What day is it? What month is it? Who won the game? Who died?
We successfully made the long journey back to Fort Worth on this past Sunday. I really don't know what the date is or was. When I say successful, what I really mean is that no one killed each other and we made it. Was it worth it? Of course. I feel like I have exhaled, yet, I feel the chapter we were in was over almost too soon. By that, I mean, it felt over before it started, yet, while there I felt time wasn't moving. In sort of a blurry blink, we were gone.
My fam came to help move us- crazy of them but I guess that is what you do when you are hungry for your Heinsohns to get back home and make their lives normal again. lol. I had to keep reminding myself how much they love us as I saw them all working so hard. You know its unconditional love when people help you move or pack, etc.
Now for the funniest story while moving, I've saved the best for last. On Sunday, everything was almost finished, and I had one more task before leaving for good. I had to deliver a baby shower gift to M's boss and wife as I missed the shower the day earlier. His boss answered the door and almost didn't recognize me. I didn't recognize me. I was g-r-o-s-s. You know- sweaty, stinky, dirty, and best of all wearing my most embarrassing "sho good eatin" t-shirt Ol' South Pancake House in Ft. Worth, "Cain't be beaten". Classy.
In a hurried tone I said I have cash and could I buy his cat crate! I know I talk fast (I have a lot to say) but truly, his expression was priceless. He said, "you want me to give you ten dollars..."
No, no, no- oh my gosh, already embarrassed- I ask again b/c the girls are in the car, one is asleep and I really needed a cat carrier. We have never had one for Griffin. If I take him to vet, I use a pillowcase, seriously. I think his jaw dropped. I'm not sure if he was in disbelief that I was asking or just shocked that I'd have a cat without a carrier. What kind of cat owner doesn't own a crate?!
So, he says yes because he feels sorry for my cat. Nice. Not pity for the person who has to ride next to an uncased cat who is scared to death, but sympathy for the cat who has to put up with that person day in and day out. Poor Griff, stuck with me as his human.
I got the 15 dollars and I'm pretty sure I ripped him off b/c the price was still on the carrier. Now I'm stuck w/ the moral dilemma of mailing a check for seven dollars!
It all happened so fast, I didn't process it until a day or so later. We all had a huge and repeating laugh.
"So Candice, is this a habit? Dropping off gifts and asking to buy people's stuff?"
"If I was him I'd say hell no you can't have my cat carrier, I need it!"
"What if his wife came home and said, 'what the crap! You did what?! We have a vet appt this afternoon! Thanks idiot"
"He is probably thinking, 'yep I knew that Michael was married to a weirdo'"
"Candice, only you"
These are just a few of the responses I've gotten when I've told the story to family and friends. I asked a few what they would do if in the same situation, not in my shoes, but in his shoes.
One friend said she doesn't know what she would do. Really? Its not a kidney.
Michael said, "I guess I'd just be like, um okay, here ya go" which is pretty much what his boss did.
His wife seems sweet about it. She wasn't there to see her husband interacting with a complete nut. We've written a little and she doesn't seem upset. What else do you expect from Christians! In fact, it should be on a bumper sticker- ONLY A CHRISTIAN WOULD SELL YOU HIS CAT CARRIER.
New Project
12 years ago






