Tuesday, January 1, 2008

1-1-08

Entry 1-1-08
Oh yay, the year ends in 8, that means I turn 30 in March.

I’m actually looking forward to it. The 20s are confusing, but essential to the establishment.
My New Year started off right. M grilled steak and veggies last night, but then he fell asleep with Miss B at 9pm. I was left to entertain myself in the silence. No problemo.
Then he let me sleep in and made me coffee and breakfast. I was deeply confused, but said nothing, except of course, “thank you!”--and “what do you want?”
He said nothing. He likes to cook and figures if he is going to get a southern style breakfast, he shall have to cook it himself. My idea of breakfast is usually a ton of coffee and a liter of Ozarka. I wish I was kidding.

I leisurely got ready, listened to one of my Dixie Chicks cds, not their newest one, but the one before that titled “Home”. It’s the one w/ “landslide” on it. Love that song by Stevie but just as much love it by the Chicks. I listened to the entire cd in the bathroom. I fell in love with them all over again. I start getting mad at the rednecks who showed up at events to smash and burn their cds. WTF. Hold on- hear me out. Do you remember Michael Jackson hanging his infant son named BLANKET (a crime all by itself) out of a 3 or 4 story window? No one called CPS. No one said much, except “what a loon”. NO one went on a smashing rampage, burning their old "Thriller" or "Bad" albums. Radio stations didn’t ban his music from the air. This is the only real crap we saw with our own eyes him do. He appears to have an affinity for young boys, we gag, and turn our head, and last I checked, I still listen to “billie jean” in the car.
BUT- the Dixie Chicks, well, Natalie, the lead singer says she doesn’t like the fact Bush is from Texas and all hell breaks loose. You know she followed up that comment with “We support our troops”. Why is that not acceptable? Why can she not like a political person being from her state? This doesn’t stop her from supporting troops. She doesn’t have to vote Republican to support the troops, to cry for the deaths, to cry for the children and wives left behind. It is not an oxymoron to dislike a president AND be supportive of the men and women who sacrifice everything when told to do so. No one has to like what is going on, but we all make a choice to be supportive, or not. I think its ignorant to hate on Bush and I think its even more ignorant to hate on the Dixie Chicks for one little comment. They are not political leaders. I don’t look to them for a political vision. They don’t impact me politically. They are musicians. I love them for their talent and the way their music can impact me, and move me. If I were a famous writer, and I said something one of you didn’t agree with, would you haul off and start ripping up my poetry and blog entries? Get a grip people. Educate yourselves. I promise you, if I really got to talking, I could piss each and every one of you off, but would you take it out on my writing? This is my blood, and passion, I’m allowed to have opinions right? I know I’m not famous, and that is supposedly why Natalie’s comment fueled so much fire, b/c she is famous. Well, so is Britneys baby sister, who has a show on Nickolodeon, and is 16 and pregnant. She is getting 1 million dollars when the baby is born for her story in US Weekly. We are all pissed, but phew, at least she didn’t say anything negative about Bush. I’m glad America has their priorities set straight.
Overall, I think its funny, the people who don’t listen to the Dixie Chick's music anymore, as if to inflict pain on them, make a statement, stand for something. I think they are missing out. Of course, music is very important to me, I’m pretty sure I can’t live without it- next to my family, air, and writing…
P.S- We went to Zoo today, got a season pass, saw lots of funky animals and ate junk food.
P.P.S.- I'm ending the day the way I started it, in bed, listening to that same cd, surrounded by my books and vitamins....Happy New Year- make it a positive one!