Thursday, November 29, 2007

Classy

Yesterday evening I had to run up to Walgreens pharmacy to pick up B's RXs. I was told at 3:30pm to come back in an hour. I know better, so I come back at 8pm. Can you believe they are not ready? I can. I expect to have some sort of problem when I go there. I don't even have a negative attitude about it. "I'd love to wait 30 minutes with the sick people!". So, I sit down, in the same gross chair, imagining tiny germs attacking my arse, and I delay breathing in the air as long as possible, I take slow, shallow breaths to keep from passing out.
Let me back up, while I am still at the counter waiting for the man to tell me where the rxs are, a stinky lady shows up behind me, standing waaaaaay too close to me. In my peripheral I can see she is also buying pads. I am quickly growing nauseated. I try not to look at her directly, but I also don't want to be rude. So, when I'm told to sit down, it is her turn. She is overweight, dressed in grey sweat pants, a stained white t-shirt, socks and slip on slippers....and she reeks of moth balls, smoke, and dirt. She has words w/ the workers who tell her 20 more minutes. She says, looking right at me, "8:09 promise time, that is bull sh(&". I smile and say, "I know, they seldom are on the ball here". I think to myself, please don't talk to me anymore. I can honestly say I have not seen her "type" at this Walgreens before. I am confused but really think nothing of it. I bet there is an all bills paid apartment complex that I haven't seen yet. Then she goes, "well, I tell you what, this is the last damn time I come all the way over to this one, my walgreens was out".
Me- "oh"
Her- "I live in meadow springs and that is a long damn drive"
Me- "I live in Sienna and I'm not from here, so I don't know where that is"
Her- "Its 59 and Airport"
Me"oh, yes, that is a hike"
Phew, this explains why she is in my drug store.
Her- "well if I don't get home w/ his methadone, hes gonna be pissed"
Me - silently nods.
Her "I swear to god they told me an hour and half which is 7:33! I don't know if I can just wait and wait, I have already been to the ER last night and I'm too damn tired for this crap. It is a good thing I took my Prozac"
Me- laughs
Ok, why is this lady still talking to me. I know the answer. I make it so easy for people to engage me. I smile. I offer her my chair that has the massaging thing in it. I just look nice, which I am, but- gosh, I don't need to know that she is picking up methadone and that she took her Prozac. I almost said...
"Well, its a good thing I took my B12 complex, b/c it is a hard life in Suburbia chasing two children all day"
You know it would have been funny.
Instead, I just laugh again, b/c it is all I can do. She starts digging in her purse/hobo sack for her keys saying she can't wait til 8:09 and I look at my watch and say
"Its only like 12 min away"
I can't imagine her life being so important she doesn't have 12 more minutes. I can't imagine her not picking up this important narcotic for the addict in need. I almost want to tell her the dangers involving relapse, but I'm already mad at myself for saying "oh" to her.
"Heinsohn!"
Yay! Thats me!! I got the meds and hit the door. Hurry, get me to Target where I can feel normal again. I swear to you when I say, I see zero white trash when I go to Target! You can imagine my withdrawals I had while in Arlington just before Thanksgiving, noticing how the Cooper St Target has taken a turn for the worse-- it was very Walmart.

I got back to my bubble, that is all that matters.